UKHAS Wiki

UK High Altitude Society

User Tools

Site Tools


projects:earthshine:gps:testing

INITIAL TESTS OF THE GPS UNIT

After acquiring the Falcom FSA03 GPS Unit (now available at Earthshine Design) I decided to do some basic testing to ensure the units work and communicate over serial. After reading the datasheets and getting some advice from Terry (Project Horus) I soldered some wires onto a unit for testing purposes to hook it up to a 3.3v supply from a bench PSU and an FTDI cable to communicate with the u-Center software provided by uBlox.

The GPS Module soldered (badly - my soldering iron tip was knackered and didn't get hot enough) up to some wires for testing on a breadboard with an FTDI Cable:

lh6.ggpht.com_-icidqol4dm_s6k4pxphmyi_aaaaaaaaaog_khynium2lug_s1152_img_0627.jpg

The Earthshine1 Research 7 Development Centre (OK so it's my kitchen table). Ignore the RoboRaptor, you didn't see it:

lh4.ggpht.com_-icidqol4dm_s6k4pru81ai_aaaaaaaaaok_vcupd6tclio_s1152_img_0645.jpg

The u-Center software showing valid NMEA data from the GPS Module:

projects/earthshine/gps/testing.txt ยท Last modified: 2010/04/02 15:32 by zooto68