The following list shows software that has worked for various people in their HAB activities. It is therefore a reasonable starting point in the search for suitable software. However, the list is not a recommendation per se. Therefore, please use at your discretion.
Linux, Windows & Mac
dl-fldigi – an adapted version of the FLdigi program for tracking high altitude balloons. It allows decoding of radio signal (e.g. RTTY) and uploading to Habitat server, where trackable entities (e.g. balloons) show up on a dynamic map.
Apps for Android and iOS.
SDR receiver (RTL-SDR etc.)
Full instructions for SDR software running on Windows are available here.
Gqrx SDR receiver – Gqrx is a software defined radio receiver for Funcube Dongle (FCD), RTL2832U-based DVB-T devices (RTL-SDR), Universal Software Radio Peripherals (USRP) and Osmo SDR devices. It is powered by GNU Radio and the Qt GUI toolkit.
Sound routing utilities
Virtual Audio Cable
– “Virtual Audio Cable software allows you to transfer audio (wave) streams between applications and/or devices” (shareware).
– “VB-CABLE allows routing signal from an application to another one”, alternative to VAC (freeware, donationware).
– “JACK is system for handling real-time, low latency audio (and MIDI). It can connect a number of different applications to an audio device, as well as allowing them to share audio between themselves.” (open source).
– a system extension, that allows applications to pass audio to other applications.
– a simple application for Mac OS
X, enabling you to switch your audio input and output sources with a single click, and even adjust their volume settings.
– a simple application to enable the soft playthru of audio from input devices.